Monday, January 10, 2011

The best and worst of times

Well wonderful things happened this week and it was one of my hardest weeks as well. The fifth was 2 months since mom passed away and the sixth was a year since the last time I saw her and got to hug her. There is no way to really say how that makes me feel. Time is passing and I feel like I'm in a dream. I read a scripture in Luke though that stuck out to me. Luke 21:19 " In your patience posses (preserve, win mastery over) your souls." That's what we want right so it's good have to be patient. I also read some good quotes by Jeffrey R Holland about looking to the future and not dwelling on the past. " I plead with you not to dwell on days now gone, nor to yearn vainly for yesterdays, however good those yesterdays may have been. the past is to be learned from but not lived in. We look back to claim the embers from glowing experiences but not the ashes. And when we have learned what we need to learn and brought with us the best that we have experienced, then we look ahead, we remember that faith is always pointed toward the future. " So now on to the good and lovely things of this week. A family of five from Hungary was baptized yesterday and it was a very spiritual experience. The elders didn't tell me I was conducting the music so it was announced and I rushed up trying to find the page and guess what we sang, families can be together forever... I was totally unprepared. I struggled and cried through it in front of everyone but I felt so close to mom. I felt my testimony strengthened that our family is forever. Wow. and then to see them be baptized and we did the half time show while they were getting changed and watched some clips on temples and bore our testimonies.. I felt so privileged to be there to see them take the first steps towards making there family an eternal one. The elders made sure to empty the font this time because a couple of weeks ago they forgot and then we were playing a game at the church on preparation day and one of the elders was trying to get away from another one and tried to go through the font and he ran into a full font of water... it was pretty funny but we felt bad he had to walk home in the cold sopping wet. I tried some interesting food this week and pleasantly i loved all of it. We had Vietnamese noodles and meat in broth stuff call Pho but it's pronounced Fu. And we had congee which is melted rice and I was a little worried but it was very tasty. We had some Filipino pie that was yam and coconut and it was so yummy. So we ate good this week. We had a pretty interesting teaching experience. I talked to a guy from Saudi Arabia on the subway and we set up a time to meet and talk some more but there was a big language barrier. So we met him at a little shop and he wasn't getting much and then he was like hold on my friend is coming so another man came from Saudi Arabia and then another and another.. it ended up being five of them and two of them were really not happy that we were talking about Christianity but the other ones were asking good questions but it was really hard to communicate with them. Then we remembered Sergio who was baptized not to long ago speaks Arabic so were hoping to take him teaching with us which would be awesome! Our friend Gerald is progressing so well and knows he can't keep putting off baptism and is planning to talk to his fiance this week and he has gained such a strong testimony of the Book Of Mormon. He invited her to church next week so we're hoping she'll come. I forgot some things last week that I've been learning how to do.. one is deciphering if people are talking to themselves or on a blue tooth and another is running for the bus. Sister Rosenlof and I did a very impressive dash for a bus the other night. unfortunately we couldn't talk much once we got on cause we were panting so bad.... but we made it! We are blessed people and I love and miss you all so much! Keep sharing the good news in all you do!


Love me

No comments:

Post a Comment