Monday, April 11, 2011

always learning

We had a pretty good week :) It seemed like a lot didn't go the way we planned but we still saw a lot of good things come from the week. Last weekend we went and visited an older sister from Barbados who has had both her legs below the knee amputated. She wasn't feeling to well and she had to excuse herself and then a minute later we heard a really faint help me come from the bathroom. I went in and she has one prosthetic leg that she uses for support to get out of her chair but in the process it had come off and she was draped across the bathroom counter with just her arms to hold her up. I was desperate to help her but so afraid that I would hurt her or make the situation worse. I was trying to ask her what she needed me to do but she couldn't really tell me and so I wrapped my arms around her and she was heavier than I expected and I was so worried about squeezing too tight. I got her into her chair and we were all pretty flustered. I've pondered a lot about this experience. I share it cause it has helped me understand both sides of suffering a little better. Sometimes we are the ones draped over the counter unable to support ourselves, unable to say what we need, desperate for help, scared, embarrassed, and helpless. I've been there. Then there are those who could help and there are a two options. Some just avoid the situation because they are not sure what to do and are afraid of making things worse or think someone else can take care of it better. This may leave those in need feeling confused or alone. Then there are those who help the best they can, they give support and reassurance that you don't have to do it alone that you won't fall and if you do they'll brace you. Often times it is uncomfortable and unsure for both. some may squeeze too tight or say something that makes it hurt worse but we have to be understanding and grateful that they are trying to help. I am so grateful for all those who have reached out to help me as I've gone through an emotionally traumatic experience I understand why some have distanced themselves and I have learned so much. It's best to just try. That's what I got from conference too.. we shouldn't shy away from suffering. No where is it said that suffering should be in silence. I read a great article in the ensign and it has helped me a lot. I wonder about faith a lot.. I read that when we are healed or are prayers are answered in the way we want than it is a faith promoting experience and when we aren't healed and are prayers aren't answered the way we want and we stay faithful it is a faith perfecting experience. I read in Hebrews 11:40 "God having provided some better things for them through their sufferings, for without sufferings they could not be made perfect." We are never being punished just perfected as long as we remain faithful.I know that's true. I love all of you and am so grateful for the support I've been given! I am so grateful for spring too!


Love sister savage

No comments:

Post a Comment