Monday, March 7, 2011

Where did spring go?

Well it warmed up quite a bit and then all the sudden there was snow on the ground again. It was a great week thought. Juarex (sounds like Wuarex though) was baptized yesterday.... on Thursday he said i don't want to wait till April anymore, I'll be at the church on Saturday cleaning (he loves to come help clean the church) then I could have my interview and get baptized on Sunday! We were putting together his program and we said afterward we can have some snacks and he was like no we can't we'll be fasting. we thought it was great that he remembered and funny that we forgot. After church though we couldn't find him anywhere and I got a little nervous but then I saw him in the bishops office giving his tithing. It made me so happy. The only thing that went wrong was that at the last baptism we went to the water was really cold. Juarez doesn't like the cold so we turned it on pretty warm and it was way too hot! whoops.. we were bringing pitchers of cold water from the kitchen trying to cool it down... then we he was going into the font he was like Ohlala this is hot, which made me think of how mom would always say ohlala.... it was a sweet feeling though thinking of her then..not sad. They made it through.. he said it was better to have it too hot than too cold. We had an awesome sports night on Wednesday and 4 investigators came and we had a lot of fun. I laughed a lot. It was so funny to see people from all over playing sports together... like India, st. Vincent, Grenada, Cuba, Korea, Portugal, Brazil, Mexico, England, Russia,Philippines and so on. I am so grateful for the gospel. I'm grateful for the priesthood blessings and fasting... both of which have really helped me out a lot this week. I know the gospel is what keeps us strong. Sister Eyre shared a poem with us the other day that i really liked.


The OAK TREE by Johnny Ray Ryder Jr.



A mighty wind blew night and day

it stole the oak trees leaves away

then snapped his boughs and pulled his bark

until the oak was tired and stark



But still the oak tree held it's ground

while all the other trees fell around

The weary wind gave up and spoke,

"How can you still be standing oak?"



The oak tree said " I know that you

can break each branch of mine in two

carry every leaf away

shake my limbs and make me sway.



But I have roots, stretched in the earth

growing stronger since my birth.

You'll never touch them , for you see

they are the deepest part of me.



Until today I wasn't sure

of just how much I could endure

but now I've found, with thanks to you

I'm stronger than I ever knew.



Those roots and that strength comes for the gospel of Jesus Christ and his Atonement and as we come to understand and apply it more in our lives. Thinking of trees always reminds me of when I was in Russia and I loved to look at the really tall skinny trees cause I always thought they would blow over but they wouldn't... they'd move a lot but they stayed standing. I'm grateful for all of you and I love you and miss you and love the gospel! Have a great day!



Love Sister Savage

No comments:

Post a Comment